Profile of Prudence Mazambi Shabilenge
- Name: Prudence Mazambi Shabilenge
- Country: Congo (DRC)
- representing this natural World Heritage Site: Parc national de Kahuzi Biega
- Occupation and educational background: Student of Biology
- Group Affiliation:
Club of Friends of the Nature
- Free-time activities:
reading, studying, sports (basketball), church and travelling
- Favourite Quote:
La jeunesse est capable de changé ce monde mais ce ci dans l’amour du prochain.(Jean Paul II).
The Youth can change the world but only by loving your neighbor.
- My Personal relation to the World Heritage Site:
I consider PNKB as our park and everything we find in there belongs to us so I work in the surroundings of the park to preserve it.
- Important to safeguard my natural World Heritage Site:
I think we should save our park for several reasons: 1. there is an endemic gorilla species. 2. the natural rainforest helps in the fight against global warming. 3. The park has a natural ecological corridor since it stretches out from high to low altitudes. 4. It allows tourism and scientific research. 5. It gives visitors the chance to be in contact with gorillas.
- Specific problems and threats of my WHS:
Poaching, illegal logging, illegal occupation, destruction of ecosystems, plundering of natural resources like coltan
- Motivation for participating in the International Youth Forum 2010:
To share personal, scientific and cultural experience with other youths from around the world. To put the gained knowledge into practice once returned to my country.
- Message to the world concerning WHS and biodiversity:
The Congo alone cannot do anything but with the help of all the other countries in the world, we all can do something.
Come and discover the miracle of PNKB park, there is everything there.